Disclaimer: I received a pair of Canyon Red AfterShokz Trekz Air headphones to review as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review find and write race reviews!
Full disclosure – this is not my first experience with Aftershokz. I’ve used Trekz Titanium and Trekz Air before, however – this new color: Canyon Red! That was just amazing!
My thoughts on the Trekz Air are simple: they contain everything I need or want in a headphone! 1. Bluetooth! Once I tried Bluetooth headphones I could never go back to wires. But with Bluetooth devices there’s a couple of things that are VERY important. That brings me to number 2. Battery life! This thing is ridiculous. I had to beat this thing up by just having it run and run with random podcasts or other content before I finally heard the “Battery low” prompt. On average, I would charge them once a week. 3. Range. Early models of Bluetooth devices had crazy short ranges. Things have obviously gotten better. I’d say my average range is around 30 or so feet. Certainly enough for me to wander around my entire house and even into the garage without losing connection to my phone. 4. Sound quality! First of all, unless you have large noise cancelling headphones meant for audio monitoring, playback, studio use, etc, there’s going to be degradation of sound. That being said – these are astonishing! First of all – Bone conduction, we’ll get to that later. But it’s really quite impressive to see how this technology has evolved and has really been improved on and honed in throughout the past few years.
Extra plus – IP55 certification! Now, I didn’t dunk these in a bowl of water but I ran through some rain storms and certainly poured out some sweat over them. There was never a time when I was concerned.
Some other things that were added bonuses: I could use them in the mornings when I’m getting ready for work and could still hear if the family was getting up or anything was amuck. When my kids were napping I could listen to a podcast or some music and hear if they were up and I had to go get them up. These are not only safe on the streets when running, they’re better at home as well to keep your ears open to the rest of what’s going on!
So let’s talk about ease of use:
These things are ridiculously easy to pair. Just press the “on” button and hold until it says “Welcome to Trekz Air!” and keep holding… next it’ll say “Pairing!” Then you pair with your cell phone, or tablet, or even your USB capable TV! Bang-o! You’re ready for tunes or whatever your ears should desire.
How about comfort?
Daaaaang! Light as a feather and definitely NOT stiff as a board. These suckers are so so SO light I seriously forget I have them on at times. They sit just infront of your ears and conduct that beautiful sound streaight through your bones and into your cochlea!
From the website:
- Bone conduction technology delivers music through your cheekbones, ensuring ears remain completely open to hear ambient sounds
- A 20% lighter build than its counterpart
- A new organic design delivers increased comfort
- Complete wraparound titanium design provides a flexible fit for unnoticeable all-day comfort and stability
- OpenFit™ design ensures maximum situational awareness and comfort during long-term wear
- PremiumPitch+™ guarantees a premium audio experience, including wide dynamic range and rich bass
- Bluetooth® v4.2 connectivity and convenient multipoint pairing
- LeakSlayer™ technology significantly reduces natural sound leakage
- IP55 certified to repel sweat, dust and moisture, from workouts to wicked weather
- Enjoy six hours of continuous music + calls on a single charge
- EQ presets boost bass and reduce vibration on the go
- Dual noise canceling microphones exclude surrounding noise, effectively enhancing speech
- Audrey Says™ voice prompts guide users through power, pair, play and talk
- Hassle-free 2-year warranty
And hey, if you want to join the group, go check out the AfterShokz bundle! It comes with:
- Trekz Air (color of your choice!)
- BibRave trucker hat! (the one and only!)
- Sports towel (super absorbent!)
- Shoe bag (for your sick kicks!)
- Power bank (to keep your tunes going on your long run!)
Head over to http://bibrave.aftershokz.com and use code BRBUNDLE to save $55 off!!! (Likely good through the remainder of 2018 – but things could change! So order soon…!)
Make sure to follow Aftershokz on all the socials too!
Want more opinions than just mine? Check out my fellow BibRavePros reviews too!